Have a great idea, but no idea where to start?
Passionate about products but no product ideas?
Don’t Worry. These feelings are normal and a great way to launch into the wonderful world of product development! At Flying Pig Designs, we love working with inventors and startups. We are one too! We have about 50 patents granted or pending, with some of our own products currently in various stages of licensing. We’ve been designing and launching products for over 12 years. If you already know what you need, but just want some design help, check out our Design Services. But enough about us, what can we do for you?
What is Coaching?
Coaching is quickly becoming one of the leading tools that successful people and companies are using to enhance their lives and businesses. Product Development Coaching is a personalized, customized process that builds an individual’s and company’s capabilities to deliver a world class product. The coach’s primary responsibility is to motivate and train the client to achieve their potential in the area of concern. After completion of a coaching term, the client will have developed a specific set of skills needed to achieve their goals.
New Product Developers always have a ton of questions, which is great! The easiest way to begin is usually a FREE 30min consulting call to talk about your goals and establish a flight plan to get you there. Your Flight Plan will include items such as:
~ A product evaluation to look for potential issues
~ A quick overview of your IP protection options
~ Potential financing options for your idea
~ Steps to get your product to market
~ And much more!
We understand the needs and resources of inventors and new product developers. And the question we are most often asked is…How Much?!?
We charge $150/mth (at the start of the month) for inventor & small business coaching. This includes one deep-dive 30min call per week, with unlimited email, access to forms, and templates.
That’s it. No hidden fees. No percentage. You can cancel at any time. We can talk to you or your team on the call. Plus, you keep everything associated with your idea. We are a coaching service, not an inventor’s agent or invention marketing company. That means you do the leg work, but you keep all the reward!
Contact us for more information today! Not sure if you need a coach? Read below for more information.
7 Signs You Might Need a Product Development Coach
Unsure if you need a coach? If you can say yes to any of the following, you may need a Product Development Coach:
- You are overwhelmed or don’t know how to move forward
- You “know” what you need to do but still don’t do it
- You need a confidant to talk with about your business, your product, or your process
- You aren’t getting the results you want
- You want to save time and money
- You need fresh ideas because either you are working alone or are not being challenged by those around you
- You want to grow your company
What is the Coach’s Responsibility?
- Provide guidance
- Be an accountability partner
- Be a sounding board for bouncing new ideas
- Provide you with a new perspective
- Provide you with the tools, support and structure to accomplish more
- Help you focus better to produce results more quickly
- Clarify and encourage you to set the goals that you really want
- Ask you to achieve more than you have probably done on your own
What is the Client’s Responsibility?
- Client is fully present during coaching sessions.
- Client takes ownership of his/her own physical, mental and emotional well-being, decisions, actions, and results.
- Client will communicate with integrity, be open to honest encouragement and create the time and energy to participate fully in the program.
- The client understands that successful coaching requires an active, collaborative approach between client and coach. In the coaching relationship, the coach plays the role of a facilitator of action, but it is the client’s responsibility to enact or bring about the action.
- If the client believes the coaching is not working as desired, the client will communicate and take action to improve the coaching relationship.
- If you wish for me as your coach to speak to someone outside our interactions, then you need to give me written permission (original letter, fax or email) to do so.
- Client accepts the fact that coaching is not to be used as a substitute for professional advice by legal, mental, medical, or other qualified professionals and will seek independent professional guidance for such matters.
How Do I Coach Clients?
As your Product Development Coach, I will ask questions, encourage, challenge, make requests, and listen. My focus will be on you, what you want, and how you can best get it. However, the coaching relationship is a two-way street. It is created by both of us and may be refined by each of us. While I am 100% committed to making you, your business, and your product a success, it is your personal responsibility to act. As part of this process, I use a few ground rules to make success easier:
- Dare To Be Different: Product Development is all about creating something from nothing. Don’t focus on chasing somebody else. Instead, dare to be different and be you.
- Keep It Simple: Creating a new product is complicated enough as it is. Keep it simple whenever possible.
- First, Make Sure It Works: I encourage prototyping early and often. I also encourage showing your (protected) product to people to get feedback. Being overly secretive can be more dangerous than showing your idea.
- Act With Urgency: There’s no time like the present. Don’t wait. Deadlines sneak up quickly and you will appreciate having the extra time.
- Expect Your Best: I expect you to perform at your peak and so should you. Mistakes happen, but it is your job to admit them, fix them, and move on quickly.
- Remember the Golden Rule: The janitor at my Elementary School, Mr. Golden, was very well respected by students and staff alike. He had only one rule: Treat others as you want to be treated. Belittling others or yourself is counterproductive.
- I Give Homework: Homework helps solidify what we discussed and helps make you, your company, and your product better. Make the time to do it and come prepared for the next week’s call.
How to Get the Most from Coaching
It is important that you benefit significantly from our coaching sessions as well as from the time in between. Outlined below are some of the things that you can do to maximize the value of your coaching experience:
- Focus On What You Really Want: Coaching works best when you have clear goals in mind that are based on what you really want to achieve. It is important for you to deeply consider what you want your work and your life to look like. Secondly, it is important to identify any gaps in the way things are now versus how you would like them. Many people struggle with this, but the coaching relationship can help you work this through.
- Understand That Change Takes Time: Most clients take on a coach to work through specific business or product development goals. However, the coaching process may also allow you to discover something more about yourself. This is just a natural consequence of being coached. There is no need to concentrate on it, but just realize that it may occur. Accelerated personal and professional growth is the hallmark of good coaching!
- Increase Your Willingness to Step Up: It is my responsibility to push you. This is not meant to exhaust or overextend you, but simply to ask more of you than perhaps you have asked of yourself. It is important that you be willing to experiment with fresh approaches and new beliefs. I will encourage you to be honest with yourself and to set higher goals. However, you are the best judge of what is right for you. The more you are willing to grow and develop, the greater the benefits from coaching.
- Come Prepared to Each Coaching Session: To get the most value out of each coaching session, is important that you come prepared for each session. This means completing your homework and coming with a fresh and open mind. It means finding a quiet spot, turning off your laptop, and telling folks that you are completely unavailable until you are done with your session.
- Complete Your Homework: After each session, you will decide on the actions or goals you want to focus on. I expect you to keep the commitments you make. During our sessions, I will work with you to make sure that you are setting worthwhile, realistic, and achievable goals. If you know that you have a busy week or two ahead, your homework might be as simple as thinking about a new perspective. If you have more time, you might decide to handle a bigger task. Regardless, I will hold you accountable and encourage you to do your best.
- Contact us: Schedule your first session. We will send you the Coaching Contract and possibly some other assessments to fill out to help us get to know you and your business faster.
- Complete the Coaching Contract: At our first session, I will go through the contract with you to make sure you are clear about any fees, confidentiality protection, how we end our coaching partnership, etc.
- How We Meet: We will meet by telephone for about 20—30 minutes per week. However, the first session is generally a little longer, at about 45—60 minutes, as we get to know each other and begin to focus on your goals and direction. After the initial meeting, we will go over any updates since the previous session, review your goals and next steps, and assign homework. If something comes up between sessions, you are free to email me as much as needed. I would only request that you keep it to a reasonable amount.
- Cancellations & Appointment Changes: Scheduled coaching sessions should be a priority. On the rare occasion when you need to reschedule, please let me know at least 48 hours in advance. Except in the case of an emergency, you will be personally charged for last minute cancellations or missed sessions.
- Value Added Services: Throughout the course of our coaching, I may recommend additional services I offer or refer you to an outside vendor or service from time to time. Please keep in mind that my primary obligation is to you and your success. Our Coaching Sessions are not a Sales Channel and I will only make these recommendations if I think they will provide a substantial benefit to you.
Contact us for more information today!